This post is really a PR exercise for sharks. We fear them. We’re horrified by the thought of being eaten alive!!!. We only have to hear the sound track from JAWS to feel the fear.
Why do we fear sharks? Look at the numbers. REALLY. Show your students. What about stairs??? Quad bikes? Chairs? Bees? That’s when you should feel the fear!!! We are irrational beings. This is why we need maths. We can make rational decisions using maths. There is also a safety message here. The maths speaks for itself. We won’t hammer it.
There is lots of maths you can do with these tables.
- Bar Graphs
- Pie Charts
- Ratios (What’s the ratio of death by Snake to Quad Bike?)
- Fractions (Show death by jet ski to falling down stairs as a fraction)
- Powers to the base 10. How many deaths occur in each country per 100,000 or 1 x 105 head of population for, say, Quad bikes or ATVs? We can use these numbers to compare death rates and find out how dangerous riding a Quad bike is in each country.
……..Aust…23 million = 23 x 106
……..USA…319 million = 319 x 106
……..Canada…35 million = 35 x 106
……..UK…64 million = 64 x 106
- Cyclists. 2. emergency lanes 3. fell off a chair 4.QUAD BIKES. 5. Horse, donkey. 6. buses 7. Cow, bull. 8. ice skates, skis or skateboards. 9. Venemous snake 10. kangaroo 11. bee 12. emu 13. Jet ski 14. Shark 15. Crocodile
1. Quad Bike or ATV: In 2007, 107 children younger than 16 were killed on ATVs. 2. Cyclists 3. choke on vomit 4. Cats, cows, horses, pigs, raccoons. 5. Bees, wasps 6.PWC or Jet Ski 7. Lightning 8. Xmas tree fires 9. Snowboard 10. Venomous Spider 11. Scorpions 12. Venomous Snakes , lizards. 13.Crocs & gators 14. Shark
- ATV Quad Bike 2. Canoe 3. Kayak 4. PWC or Jet Ski 5. Unpowered inflatable 6. Avalanches or landslides. 7. Lightning 8. Toboggan 9. Moose –Car collision 10. Bears (All Nth America) 11. Rattle Snake 12. Wolves 13. Shark