Death by Chocolate for DOGSMay 28, 2014
Chocolate can be fatal to dogs. As dogs are small they can easily eat enough chocolate to kill them. According to The Royal Society of Chemistry
LD50 or Lethal Dose for 50% of the population of dogs for Theobromine is 300 mg/kg or 0.3 gm/kg.
Dogs are susceptible to Chocolate Poisoning because they do not metabolise Theobromine very quickly. In other words, they can gobble down a lot of chocolate (Christmas Day and Valentine’s Day are danger zones for dogs) and the chemical builds up in the body to a lethal dose.